Go to a better blog!


You can find a better version of my blog at http://www.adammarkus.com/blog/.

Be sure to read my Key Posts on the admissions process. Topics include essay analysis, resumes, recommendations, rankings, and more.

March 31, 2012

There is no waitlist strategy for Wharton

For my overall suggestions on being waitlisted, see "Waitlisted? Now What?"

Well, Wharton's MBA results have come out for R2. As is usual, I have had clients both admitted and waitlisted there after interview.  It is natural to want to do something about being waitlisted, but with Wharton, there really is nothing to do.  Effectively, there is no strategy because there is no significant way to impact the process. At least not through any normal methods.

I discuss this issue in my main blog post on being waitlisted:

"Also, keep in mind that some schools, simply do not accept any additional materials.  Wharton, for example, has the following policy:
"Candidates can expect to remain on the waitlist until the following round of decisions are released. There is no rank order to the waitlist. We are unable to offer feedback to candidates while they remain on the list. We are also unable to accept additional materials for inclusion in a waitlisted applicant's file. This policy is designed to create an admissions process that is fair and equitable for all candidates."
On their Admissions Blog, Wharton reiterates this policy.  See here for example.  If you are waitlisted at Wharton, the only thing to really do is just wait."

In my main post on waitlisting, I do provide some advice for how to handle the wait and how to understand it. So, even for those only waitlisted at Wharton, I would suggest taking a look at it.

Based on my experience being on the Wharton waitlist is not a hopeless situation.  Fortunately those who are admitted to Wharton are frequently admitted to other top business schools (I have never had a client choose Wharton over HBS or Stanford, though I am sure someone has.) and hence spaces open up every year for those on the Wharton waitlist.


-Adam Markus

I am a graduate admissions consultant who works with clients worldwide. If you would like to arrange an initial consultation, please complete my intake form. Please don't email me any essays, other admissions consultant's intake forms, your life story, or any long email asking for a written profile assessment. The only profiles I assess are those with people who I offer initial consultations to. Please note that initial consultations are not offered when I have reached full capacity or when I determine that I am not a good fit with an applicant.
Real Time Web Analytics